Thursday, January 7, 2016

Women are hurting out here


One of my duties I feel as a cancer survivor is to go out into the community and share my story with as many people as possible.
I did this very thing, last night in a place that for some is filled with hopelessness and despair even as it also saves women and their children from a cold night on the street. What was this place? It was the Women’s Mission and when I first walked in I was filled with such empathy and compassion for these women.
And once I began to tell my story and as I looked out into the audience into the faces of the women, I saw fear, shame, hopelessness and tears! But I also saw hope began to grow and smiles began to appear as they heard the message that they were “not alone” and there was help for them.
I even received a letter from one of the women that wanted to convey how my testimony gave her hope and courage to go on even though she was homeless and jobless. I kept that note to always remind me why I do what I do. It is not about me but it is about the many hurting women out in the community that often times do not have a clue where to turn or whom to ask for help.
Our fight is far from being over and as long as there is disease and un-equality in the health care system we must stand up and say that ” WE CARE!”
 

No comments:

Post a Comment